The second half of my Linear Functions unit covered linear regression, residuals & correlation coefficient, literal equations, and domain & range.
This booklet has been the most referred to page in my students interactive notebooks. It is a set of calculator screen shots to help students use their TI-84 calculator. There are pages on entering data, graphing data, finding the linear regression equation, and calculating the correlation coefficient. In my school system, Math 1 is the first time students have used this particular calculator. As a result these type pages really help students self-help when they have questions on how to use the TI-84.
After spending a few days on linear regression models we moved on to residuals. I had students use a spaghetti noodle to approximate the line of best fit and then approximate the residual. I then gave students a graph with the actual line of best fit and students had to compare their line and residual with the true line of best fit.
For correlation coefficient, I found an idea I liked on Teachers Pay Teachers for correlation coefficients, but I don't like to buy my resources. Once I saw the idea, a coworker and I decided to create similar foldable using Publisher and taking screenshots of data using our calculator.
Then since we had Saturday School the next day (Snow days aren't very fun when you make them up on Saturday) I created a set of scatter plots using GraphFree based on the data from Lesson 8.5 of the Mathematics Vision Project - Modeling Data unit. I had students draw a number line from -1 to 1 and then have arrange the scatterplots in order by correlation coefficient, then they were to approximate the correlation coefficient. Afterwards, I gave each group a data set for one of the graphs and they found the correlation coefficient. This activity prompted many great discussions among students.
Next up was interpreting slope and y-intercept in the context of a problem. We reviewed this while doing linear regression, but student still needed more practice.
Then we focused on solving literal equations. The reasoning for solving literal equations in this unit was to refresh their skills. The next unit we would be covering would be systems of equations, so I wanted to remind my students how to solve an equation for a variable.
If you would like the files to any of the documents I've created I'll be glad to share. :)